The best way to describe this position is that you'll be in charge of the look and feel of our brand as our designer in chief for Government Social Media. Like Jonathan Ive was to Apple, you’ll be relentlessly obsessed with the visual details of every part of our brand family, from what’s on our business cards to the design of our event stages. We're looking for a very experienced professional who wants to be an important part of the company you work for! Learn more about Government Social Media LLC.
Status: Full time, salaried, exempt
Pay Rate: $55k annual salary. This position has excellent growth potential. Raises are based on performance.
Office Location: 245 E. Liberty St., Reno, NV
Coolest Perk: You get to work from home every Wednesday.
What You'll Do Any Given Day
Here's a detailed rundown of what you might be working on in any given day.
- Develop brand & style guides for our company and products
- Vendor management, including establishing vendor relationships, obtaining estimates and ordering collateral
- Manage print production budget, timelines and assets
- Design original logos and work on logo enhancements for our brands and products
- Web graphics and landing page graphics for several websites
- Email templates for several brands (currently MailChimp)
- Slide decks (Google Slides and PowerPoint) for webinars, speeches, workshops, trainings and online courses
- Event signage for two annual events including banners, foam core, exhibit displays
- Print collateral for events and workshops such as event programs, postcards, badges, lanyards, forms, worksheets
- Digital collateral (Adobe InDesign & Acrobat) such as sponsor prospectus, executive summaries, online course worksheets
- Take and manage photographs, edit for print/web, build libraries and manage photo licensing
- What are your other skills? We have other projects that you may be involved with, such as videography, A/V, animation, etc. We want to adapt this role to work with your strengths and interests.
Qualifications & Skills
As we said, we're looking for a very experienced professional and this is NOT an entry level position. Here are some of the requirements for this role.
- At least a Bachelor's degree in any related field such as Graphic Design
- At least 5 years professional work experience in positions involving graphic design
- Strong understanding of design concepts such as negative space, alignment, visual hierarchy, balance, the difference between Pantone and Hex colors, etc.
- Extreme attention to visual detail
- Extremely proficient in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience with Canva is helpful, but easily learned
- Government or other public sector experience is a plus, but not required
- Great written, interpersonal and team communication skills
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work via a MacBook Pro
- Ability to work in our Reno, Nevada office from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and to get here on time. On Wednesdays, we work from home.
- Ability to travel for work when required, usually a couple times per year. You must be able to travel with us to our annual GSMCON event - the next event will be in Seattle, WA, the week of March 22-26, 2020. Our other major annual event you'll be a part of is S4SCON in Reno, Sept. 30-October 3, 2019.
Personality & Who will Love this Job
Here's more about the type of person we think will feel at home with us. If these qualities speak to you, you just might be the person we're looking for!
- You might label yourself as an overachiever. You work hard because you like doing things right and you are confident in yourself. You enjoy learning new things and figuring out solutions.
- You believe that details matter. You agree that a few pixels, language choice, color palette, button placement, naming conventions and more can have a big impact on user experience - and you care.
- You get our company, what we do, why we do it and how what we do has an impact on communities across America.
- You're smart and you have a sense of great pride in your work. If you don't give a task your all, it just doesn't feel right.
- You have an impeccable level of friendly, positive customer service at all times. We're big on email etiquette here.
- You're on time to work and to meetings because you respect your co-workers and you take pride in what you do.
- Our dress code is on the casual side, but you know when the situation calls for a high level of professionalism, and you can represent our company like a boss!
- You're a positive person with a sense of humor. We're all about getting s**t done, but we also enjoy each other and having a good laugh.
- You like Reno and you're here because you want to be. We're known to take breaks to fuel up on an amazing chili cheese dog at the Cal-Neva (they have the best in town) and play a few slots to recharge. Most of your adult life will be spent at work, so we believe in making that experience a positive one.
Benefits & Perks
- "Work from Home Wednesdays" Or wherever you work best. Every Wednesday is our 'focused work' day, free from distractions and meetings, designed for you to better concentrate on big projects. Plus, it means you only have to commute to the office 4 days a week.
- 60% employer-paid medical premiums for the employee (United Healthcare coverage). Family plan is available.
- 100% employer-paid dental and vision premiums
- 13 paid Holidays per year (New Year’s Eve & Day, MLK Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving & Family Day, the day before Christmas Eve, Christmas Eve & Day). If a holiday falls on a weekend, it will be observed on Friday or Monday.
- Paid twice monthly on 5th and 20th via direct deposit
- Cell phone allowance of $40 a month
- Casual work environment in downtown Reno as a collaborative workspace with window views from every room.
- Growth potential
- 10 days annual vacation, accrued each pay period
- 8 days annual sick leave, accrued each pay period
- Use of a nice MacBook Pro
- Your work hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How to Apply
If this job was made for you visit our Design Specialist job webpage, scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions.
This job was posted on July 8, 2019 and is open until filled! The highest ranked applicants will be invited for an interview. The interview process may involve top candidates returning for a second interview.