We're looking for someone who colors outside the lines. Our marketing content is unique, experimental, and sometimes outrageous. Ever heard of a little 'ole thing called results-oriented direct marketing? You'll never catch us producing content we "like" but instead content that WORKS. Every multi-step, multi-media marketing campaign is tracked, tested, and then tweaked. We never met a Dan Kennedy marketing philosophy we didn't like.
Does this sound like you?
- You have a passion for both copywriting and design, and a deep understanding of how they work together
- You’ll toss grammar rules out with the bathwater (keep the baby!) for a message that truly speaks to an audience
- You have an uncanny ability to visualize all the pieces of a campaign and how they tie together for the audience. That means you write copy understanding at what point it will be seen in the marketing funnel and what that person needs to read at that time
- You thrive on a consistent, often intense, workload and can work on multiple projects at once
- “Change” is your middle name (What were your parents thinking?!), so constantly shifting priorities and organizational change keeps you on your toes—in a good way
- You don’t consider your work to be “work”
- You can kill your darlings (and more importantly, allow others to kill your darlings) in the name of producing results
- You’re able to give and receive detailed and thoughtful feedback, especially with your own creative work (thick skin and critical thinking are key). You effortlessly incorporate past feedback into future work
- You thrive in a small business culture with minimal structure and immense responsibility
- You think the #1 sin in marketing is being BORING, so you are often caught adding a little chutzpah to your copy
- You are passionate about learning and devour podcasts, books, online tutorials, conferences, etc.
- You can work on deadline and know when a project is "good enuf"
- You like to work independently without being micro-managed, yet enjoy support and ideas from a multi-talented team. This means you don’t mind making quick decisions and using your best judgement to move projects forward when needed
- This makes sense to your inner copywriter: "The #1 reason why someone buys a hearing aid isn't so they can hear better. It's so they can keep their kids from putting them in a nursing home."
- You know that being a marketer (and part of a small, close-knit team) means having a diverse set of skills, and you are willing to wear many hats to get the job done. Sometimes this means stepping way outside of your normal job responsibilities.
If reading this makes your brain buzz, you could be our Gandalf. We are looking for a direct response copywriting and design wizard to join our 4-person marketing team consisting of a Marketing Sorceress (head of strategy), Unicorn Wrangler (coordinates our team and projects), Content Alchemist (produces rad content), and Data Automation Ninja (responsible for all things tech).
Want to know why our team rocks? We get a kick out of:
- Working remotely
- Choosing our own working hours and vacation days
- The flexibility to workout in the middle of the day, take a day off to ski, or go to lunch with a friend
- The freedom to bring our own ideas to fruition quickly in a small business environment
- No one standing behind our backs watching us work… a culture of trust and self-management
- Being constantly challenged to solve unique and complex problems
- The opportunity to wear many hats… every day is something different
As our Creative Juicer, your primary responsibilities would include:
- Being the master creator and keeper of the multiple, diverse, and ever-evolving marketing messages for our different businesses. You’ll need to deeply understand our message and audience to be able to manipulate and improve on what exists. This includes coming up with brand new ways to convey the same concepts. You will be THE person in charge of copy and design, and we’ll be relying heavily on your ingenuity, critical thinking skills, and expertise. You must be independent, a self-starter, extremely resourceful, have a need for accuracy, and an affinity for details.
- Creating lead magnets, whitepapers, eBooks, etc. for multi-step, multi-media campaigns
- Writing original content and editing content written by others (emails, blog posts, newsletters, mobile app content, etc.)
- Copywriting and design for radio ads, PPC ads, social media campaigns, etc.
- Copywriting and design for print materials such as postcards, handouts, newspaper ads, newsletters, magazines, books, etc.
- Copywriting and designing landing pages that convert
- Collaborating with the Marketing Sorceress, Unicorn Wrangler, and Hughes Capital CEO (who we built the brand around) to produce high-quality content on a deadline
- Taking long brainstorm conversations consisting of a myriad of ideas, concepts, and possible marketing content, and magically spin it into something cohesive and persuasive that will drive results
Are you our Creative Juicer?
This is a full-time, salaried position. Starting pay depends on what you bring to the table. You will receive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits, plus the opportunity to participate in an employee investment program (which is the same thing you wholeheartedly believe in marketing every day).
To apply for the Creative Juicer: Direct Response Copywriter & Designer position:
Step 1: Please send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio of copywriting and design work directly to Jobs@HughesCapital.com. Mention your favorite book when you send in your cover letter. That way I know you really did read through this ridiculously good looking I mean, long, job description.
Step 2: Please spend 10 minutes to answer these questions which will give us an idea of your work-related needs: Culture Index Survey
You can learn more about some of our businesses here:
P.S. Wizards aren't real but rockstar team members are. We can't wait to meet you 🙂